NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/04/10 12:47 AM
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears

BLACK BEARS

Thanks for the replies, comments and photos.

Is bear meat low in fat like venison or does it depend on the time of year the bear is taken? If taken before hibernation, higher in fat, than obviously after fasting in hibernation?

When cooking, as it has to be cooked through, do you use bacon or other fat to stop it drying out? Depends I suppose on my first question!

Quote:

One of the things to look at is what type of hunt you would like to do, over bait, spot & stalk, running with dogs etc and time of year (spring or fall). I think they all can have their good points, personally I've hunted over bait, in Ontario Canada (mid '70's) and Colorado (late '70s). And in Montana it's spot and stalk, also sitting and watching spots that are good (no baiting though). I haven't hunted them behind dogs.

So regarding the time of year, ie spring or fall, when would you use which method, ie spot and stalk? Baiting? Dogs?

Can other game be hunted the same time?

What colour variations are there in "black" bear?

A tougher question which some resident hunters may not know, but ... for a foreign visitors, what is required where you hunt or have hunted? ie do you need to use an outfitter etc?

Are tags/permits readily available? I believe black bear are relatively common?

what constitutes a trophy? Size, skull weight, colour, condition?

Ann,

Nice bear.

The only bears I have seen have been in Europe which were actually Indian bears. Never saw one in India however.

Erik did have a permit for one if we bumped into one in the forest last year.

How do you mount your bear trophy? Flat skin with head, full mount, standing or ?

Ann, I have been very interested in your bear hunts every time you post about them.

More please, I'm greedy.

PS I have to interest someone else in visiting the USA, at a time convenient for bear hunting, and maybe also OK for a general holiday. Any times of the year that would be good for both? Spring AND Fall make it easier I think. Fall is more convenient for me, Feb to April is impossible.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com