450_EXPRESS
(.333 member)
01/04/10 02:46 PM
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears

I have bit of experiance with black bears, not as much as some I'm sure, but a pretty good bit.
One of the things to look at is what type of hunt you would like to do, over bait, spot & stalk, running with dogs etc and time of year (spring or fall). I think they all can have their good points, personally I've hunted over bait, in Ontario Canada (mid '70's) and Colorado (late '70s). And in Montana it's spot and stalk, also sitting and watching spots that are good (no baiting though). I haven't hunted them behind dogs.

They can be a fun critter to hunt. Although they're certainly capable of shortening your lifespan, and there are numerous cases of attacks, I don't think they're that bad (besides I'm the one with the gun and thumbs) but do deserve a bit of respect and common sense. Some folks come out here just half scared shit-less to start with and they're more a danger than the bears. Alot in this country are shot with .270 I prefer 30-06 and above. A big boar is very muscular and it helps to have something that'll go through shoulders without coming undone.

If you decide on hunting over bait in spring time, I'd highly recommend a fine mesh head net. mosquitos and biting flies are bad enough but no-see-ums are hell's own special treat. For hunting out here in the Rockies, good boots.

The meat I think can be great eating. I like it in a roast, cooked lowish (325) heat for a few (about 4)hours. A bit of dry onion soup mix, maybe a can of Golden Mushroom soup on top, makes a great gravy and the meat is so tender you can cut it with the serving spoon. I'm of the school of thought that bear meat should be cooked thoroughly. I'd liken it more to roast beef. Like most game how it's taken care of matters a lot.

Our spring season starts here 4/15 and the wife wants to go for her first so maybe we'll have some pictures. The owner (a 69 yr. old woman) of the place we'll be going would be thrilled too have a couple get killed. There's been a couple of times she's invoked (at the top of her lungs) the Name and Wrath of the Lord on em to chase them away. So far it's worked. (but she does want me to pick out a gun for her too)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com