577500WR
(.275 member)
18/03/10 08:51 AM
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt

Hi Lancaster,

The deal with the semi auto is that he is really into military weapons. My preference would have been for him to use a bow, a double rifle, or a pistol...in that order. I figure if I want to get him into hunting in a big way I have to let him do it his way for the most part.

He also needed a larger caliber- slow velocity but not more speed. I wanted to be sure if he shot an ox it would be only one at a time wihtout a pass through. He practiced with that caliber and was very comfortable with it from the get go. He just wanted to see me shoot it then he pretty much insisted I let him shoot. I think he and I are doing it right as he is chomping at the bit to hunt and shoot.

BTW, I am taking my daughter to Africa for her first hunt...it will be a bow hunt. I want both of them to have memorable times in the field and look back on it as an introduction to a way of life that strongly connects them to what they eat and how they live. It also teaches them that they truly are responsible for their actions.

BwanaNelson, thanks for extending such a gracious offer. I do not think he would turn it down...just need to get his school schedule squared away.

Cheers,

577500WR
Matt

Contact Us NitroExpress.com