9.3x57
(.450 member)
20/10/09 11:59 PM
Re: .30-06 + Elk; Cow Carcass & Coyotes....

Quote:

9.3, if the wolves are causing so much havoc on game out there, let's put together a little Forum Wolf hunt! I'll make the trip.

Would be wonderful. Even the non-res tags are affordable. Problem is, nobody here seems yet to know how to hunt them in our terrain, cover, etc. I am researching it. I am not kidding when I tell you a wolf hunt is going to be an incredibly unproductive, difficult thing to pull off in our area.

I just heard that the first wolf killed in the state was pulled in with a predator call. But I've been calling coyotes for years and never brought in a wolf! And coyotes are very tough to bring in here, light-years more difficult than in any other state or area I've hunted them.

Every wolf I've seen except for the last one I could not have shot under any circumstances, or hit at least. None of the ones I have seen on my place here could I have hit.

We won't kill enough to reach quota, and I hear the F&G might extend the season to allow for the possiblity to do so. Hopefully that will be the case. We need snow and concentrated prey species {elk, deer} to concentrate wolves. I've already given my son the orders; keep in shape and get ready for after deer season.

We will learn how to kill these things. It may wind up a little unorthodox, but there has got to be a way to do it. Right now it is guess-work all the way. The hide of the one I saw yesterday was taken by a fellow and his wife who were strolling down a logging road and heard wolves howling and running their way. The wolf crossed the trail and he shot it; 100% luck, impossible to recreate. Then they were surrounded by the wolves, darting in and among the trees, snarling, etc.

I will keep the Forum folks posted. Elk and deer may prompt "hunting secrets" but with wolves, I hope there are no secrets among hunters; post all methods and kill wolves.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com