9.3x57
(.450 member)
17/10/09 12:48 PM
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska

I agree.

As RIPP said at the beginning, who knows how legit the details are.

And sort-of, who cares, as to me it is a good conversation starter.

I do not doubt for a moment that things like this have occured. One needs only remember that it takes but a mere nick of the CNS to stop anything now-now anyhow and after that you can kill a grizzly with a Swiss Army Knife. So it COULD have occured, tho the Gunfight at the OK Corral part about jerking the gun out and stopping a bear at 20 yards is a bit much. Poetic license maybe. I mean, a drunk tree-planter with a dirt-dulled hoedad would have a pretty good chance on me from behind at that distance even if I had the sixgun out and was rubbing the leather scraping off the front sight when he started, and I'm not too bad with a pistol.

As for the previous comments, I was hunting bear before the hound ban years ago near Wauconda, Washington and we crested a ridge in the beatup Toyota and spotted a sow and a cinnamon and a black cub and were all elbows and earlobes getting out of the rig, dogs going berserk in the box. We left them and ran up to see the bearz. Mom split and babies climbed two trees, after which we stood and jawed for a second about how nice the brown one was. We didn't know that Mom was just below the slope and that was proven when she came back over at full speed to give Secretariat in the heyday a run for the money.

She slowed when she saw us and stopped. My pal had lots of experience with bear and he put his arms out like a cross. She stood stock still and from behind I told him quietly I had my rifle on her {a Model 71 .348 Winchester}. He said in a sort-of loud whisper "DON'T SHOOT". I kept the front sight in the center of the peep on her shoulder above her wagging head and...after a few minutes, she turned and mosied down off the ridge.

That was interesting, and to be honest, law or not, if I'd been alone I have plastered the sow if he hadn't been there. But he figured for some reason she'd get over it, and she did.

I shot the black cub and tagged it, too. He liked the cinnamon cub and wanted it to have the best chance to survive. Thus ended my bear season for the year.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com