Ripp
(.577 member)
16/10/09 06:23 AM
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska

Quote:

F&G now is saying grizz populations may be in for some trouble by wolves. Some of the wolves shot this year have been bigger than 150 pounds {I heard one reported near here that went 220 lbs}, and a pack will kill grizzly as has been shown before, particularly small and young ones if they get them bayed and they cannot tree.
=======================

When I hunted brown bear in Alaska--my guide told me that when they were flying one day they noticed a brown running across the tundra with a wolf pack on his heels..said from time to time, one would actually jump on his back while he was running..he would spin, the wolf would go flying off..and the run would begin again..said this lasted for some time until they got into some timber and they lost them..figured he had either killed one of their own or something as they were really after the bears butt...

Personally, here, when I go hiking or bowhunting in Griz country, I have been packing a titanium S&W in 44 mag with 300 gr solid cast bullets..figure the bears (Griz) are considerably smaller here than the Alaska brownies....and would ultimately kill one if needed..have also carried a mossberg 12Ga shotgun loaded with buckshot and slugs..figured that would do the job, and based on what happened this week with the pheasant hunter, really believe it now..

Many entities are really pushing the pepper spray, but my thought is, what happens if you get charged and you are downwind of the bear...so have always stuck to a firearm of one kind or another..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com