9.3x57
(.450 member)
16/10/09 01:20 AM
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska

Really interesting thread. Really interesting that the grizz issue occured there in Montana, too. I didn't read that one yet.

As RIPP notes, we have grizzly in both Idaho and Montana. Populations have grown so much that we had one north of my house last year, and have reports every year by hound hunters of unintentionally getting on grizzly.

F&G now is saying grizz populations may be in for some trouble by wolves. Some of the wolves shot this year have been bigger than 150 pounds {I heard one reported near here that went 220 lbs}, and a pack will kill grizzly as has been shown before, particularly small and young ones if they get them bayed and they cannot tree.

I wish .458Win would post here. He has vast experience with AK bear.

Some years ago he wrote a piece for RIFLE Magazine where he said something to the effect that he does not carry a heavy sixgun because he has little faith in its ability to stop big bear, and supported the notion of carrying something light and handy {that won't get left at home due to bulk, etc}. Like a .38 Special, which he said could at least cause a bear a nuisance with a shot to the face.

I always thought that had merit, to a degree, especially the part about something on your hip being worth more than nothing on your hip. Except I shoot a pistol a fair bit, am a pretty good shot, and can't promise myself that I'd be able to plant a .38 round or any other in a bear's bobbing and weaving face and if I could, I'd rather make it a .44 at max velocity/heavy bullets. I also believe that incidents like this are rare indeed, and that .44 mags and even the Casull are not absolutely reliable on big bear. Heck, I have seen the .44 Mag fail on a small black bear. Just hitting a bear doesn't stop it. This fellow here did very well indeed.

One thing that has changed over the years is the availability of very light, heavy sixguns. The high-tech alloy frame guns are miserable to shoot, but eliminate the temptation to get left behind. In all-steel frame 6-shot guns, my 6.5 inch bbl S&W Heritage is about as light as they get, as it is basically a remade 1926 Target .44 Special, in .44 Magnum. A alloy frame .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk is a very light gun as well, and cheap.

I will say this, sort of offtopic, the sheer size of wolves being reported shot, and the three I saw last year on my place have got me rethinking the pistol caliber I carry with me on my winter ski jaunts.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com