NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/09/08 04:14 AM
Re: Best American BIG GAME CALIBER!!

Quote:

I don't know 'who' invented specific calibers or if my choice was developed here but....

For North America I would not hesitate to use my sporter 1909 Argentine Mauser in .30-06 for any species. Though it wasn't made here it seems like an American gun to me. It has killed stuff from whitetailed deer and George River caribou to eland. This is an easy shooting rifle and the versatility of bullet weights make it quite capable for anything on my continent. Even better is that I shoot it well! I have never had to shoot an animal twice with this rifle though I am always ready in case I have to.

The rifle belonged to my grandfather, who was an excellent hobby gunsmith and gun dealer before the ATF slammed honest people. Consider he was originally from downtown Detroit and was raised there in the Great Depression and before the riots. He came from a very wealthy family who lost a lot back then and he lost more when his family stripped him of his inheritance <<<greed>>>. He is one of the people who also influenced me, though it kicked in post mortem, to go hunting and not be afraid because I am female.

I still miss him, he was one of the most positive influences in my life. He passed away in May of 1995 just before his 81st birthday. I am sure if he was still here he would be very proud of me and we would have shared some great memories afield.

I wish I could have done more for him. I regret I did not have more time with him as an adult.

I've arranged for a cull shoot at a red stag preserve in Maine this fall and will use this rifle to fill my freezer.

Ann

sounds like a wonderful heirloom and choice.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com