DPhillips
(.375 member)
08/03/04 06:12 AM
Re: .375 on a Sheep hunt??

Rainy Pass lodge has the reputation for producing good rams year after year. Has been that way since 40's. It's getting hunted pretty hard these last few years, and I haven't heard much about it since the late 90's. If I had my guess, though, since you are working with a guide that has been there for some number of years, I'd say your chance for success is pretty good. Just listen to your guide and outfitter. I've seen a lot of people on the internet going after sheep for the first saying they won't take less than a 40" ram. There just aren't that many of those rascals running around these days. Any mature representative ram in that area is a fine trophy indeed. You may have a good chance at a 40"er, but very few hunters each year take one.

I've yet to take one, and I've been at it (as a resident) for a long while now. Then again, though, I've never hired a guide. The Alaska range rams typically have a wide spread compared to the Chugach or Wrangell rams, though not quite as much mass. That is just a rough generalization, though. They are beautiful animals.

I'd say the Rainy Pass area is as good a place as any in the state for success on a big ram, especially if your guide does his homework before the season starts.

Oh yeah, I do believe the 300 Mag would be perfect for hunting the Rainy Pass area, as long as the rifle isn't too heavy.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com