9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/05/08 08:40 AM
Re: and they dont care

Yes, we do disagree.

Biologically, just how is a mosquito different than a wolf? Are you telling me that in terms of living organisms, wolves are different than rats, stray dogs, mosquitos and cockroaches?

Which disease would you like to see introduced to Denmark?

{I say introduced, not REintroduced because the taxonomic jury is out yet...and studies are ongoing as to whether the Canadian wolves introduced here ARE the same as our indigenous wolves, wolves that existed up till the time of the introduction of the Canadian wolves. Unfortunately, while there are some 70,000 Canadian wolves, there are very few indigenous wolves in Idaho. And less now, or none due to the introduction of Canadian wolves due to interbreeding and competition. Yes, there is disagreement as to just how all these things should be taxonomically, but no disagreement that if Canadian wolves are NOT the same taxonomically, their introduction is a true eradication of species, the species that was here and should be here.}

You see, my use of the term "eradicate" is directed at the wolves introduced here. We had a very good thing going before wolves were dumped here. AND there were tens of thousands of wolves in North America. There was no need to do what was done.

Interestingly, the SUCCESS of the introduction program MAY be a factor IMO to USF&W Service resistance to introducing jaguar. You see, many in the scientific world did not know that wolves would explode in numbers as they have. And it is my opinion that their success just may be their undoing. But that will take time for people to become educated as to the actual trouble wolves cause to game, to other non-game species, and to humans.

Wolves eat an average of 14 elk/deer per wolf per year. IF the State was allowed to hold their numbers to something like 500, that would be fine with me. But they have no way of estimating their numbers accurately! You really have no idea what the management challenge confronts our State Game biologists. Our state is many times the size of Denmark, in fact, we are 1/2 the size of Sweden. Even with 500 wolves, obviously, we would suffer loss of game, and some depredation of livestock. But the enviros want thousands. And they are very possibly well funded enough to prevent State management. We are unclear whether we will even have a wolf season this year.

Some obviously believe that wherever animals existed they should be introduced if they no longer live there. This is, simply put, ridiculous. Add to that the fact that the actual animals introduced may be different and you get a carnival of bad science.

There ARE certain living organisms that should be severely controlled. In fact, we all agree to that, I suspect, even you. That wolves, even the wrong wolves, are raised up as some sort of idol to man's past mistakes is both pathetic and dangerous. Introducing wolves into the Western US is a bad idea because it follows a misbegotten notion that we can roll back the clock to a make-believe, wonderful day when man didn't mess everything up. Well, you and I certainly agree that man HAS messed a lot of things up. Man is making a huge mess by introducing wolves.

Bringing wolves back won't fix a thing in regard to man's past environmental sins, especially when wolves already exist in somewhat vast numbers elsewhere. The COST to manage these things is huge. I know idealists don't like to count money, but it simply must be counted.

Wolves will not stop human immigration. People will still move in to these areas. Wolves will not stop the spread of humankind. No, but the expense to manage wolves will come with no payback; no payback to the other game and non-game animals that are slaughtered by wolves, no payback to game and non-game species that will contract disease from wolves and no payback to humans who will bear ever-increasing cost to manage them.

I am, in the long term, optimistic. I am optimistic because I am certain that wolves will cause so much mayhem that a common sense approach will be adopted in time. In the short run there will be massive problems, and many very successful game management programs will suffer severely, as they are beginning to suffer already.

There were many good reasons our smart forefathers got rid of wolves. In true wilderness they may have their place, but outside of that, the place to introduce wolves is a zoo, not my back yard.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com