phurley5
(.224 member)
07/05/08 07:37 AM
Re: Best American BIG GAME CALLIBER!!

hoppdoc ----- I voted for the .340 Wby from your choices. Two reasons, first I own and shoot one and have taken it to Alaska and many other places. Second, it is versital enough to use for everyday hunting in the States and still heavy enough for the Bigger Bears. I also shoot a .338 Lapua that has those same characteristics. ----- If I were picking myself and not from your choices I would pick the .358 STA. I own and shoot two STA's, both custom rifles that perform in all fields. You can load from 185 grain bullets up to 310 grainers. I use 250 amd 270 grain North Forks ( I managed to have several boxs on hand when Mike shut down) for Elk and African plains game. The 270 grain bullet at 2950 fps is trully formidable for any game. I also shoot a .416 Rem and Rigby, but both of these are considerably heavier and slower to handle in the field, as would be the .375's. My STA's are very quick to the shoulder and pack enough wallop for anything that walks in North America, and are still fast enough for flat shooting. It is still a wildcat, however there are several around and Winchester produced 58 from their Custom Shop several years ago and A-Square produced the cartridges. I was lucky enough to get one the the Winchesters, plus another Custom with a Lilja barrel on a Winchester action. Nosler publishes loads as well as A-Square in their manuals. This is my opinion, for what it is worth. Good shooting.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com