Tatume
(.400 member)
04/04/08 01:24 AM
Best deer cartridge?

Hello Folks,

For years I’ve thought about the best “all around” cartridge. But, most of my hunting is for deer, so lately I’ve been thinking about what should be the best specialty cartridge for deer. The small-caliber bullets work. High velocity certainly improves trajectory, but only under the most extraordinary circumstances would I shoot beyond 200 yards.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the most important characteristic to me is immediate incapacitation. Trailing animals can be difficult for me (for physical reasons), so if I can drop them in their tracks it is a great benefit. Recently I have been shooting 300 gr 45 caliber bullets at 2500 fps, and find that this gives the desired effect. I have two such rifles, a modern (smokeless) muzzleloader, and a Ruger #1 458 Win Mag.

My thoughts now turn to the weight and recoil of these two rifles. I’m considering my 375 H&H Ruger #1 loaded to fire a 180 gr Speer or a 200 gr Sierra bullet at 2700 - 2800 fps. This is at the very bottom of what the loading manuals recommend, and actually I’d like to get slower. But, this will do. My #1 375 Tropical is almost two pounds lighter than my #1 458 Tropical, and it’s fitted with a very nice recoil pad. I’m thinking that Paul Mathews may have been right all along; the 375 H&H may be the ideal deer cartridge.

What are your thoughts?

Take care, Tom

Contact Us NitroExpress.com