ChuckWagon
(.275 member)
25/02/04 04:04 AM
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting???

I am not overly fond of the fence and high fence operations in general. They do however offer options to both inexperienced hunters and even those with handicaps. I guess we have to define "High Fence". I have hunted several ranches in Texas. Parts of ever the King ranch are naturally fenced. They deal with non indigenous species as well as poachers. At 825,000 acres I hardly consider it a canned hunt. On the other hand total acerage can be very misleading. Consider the YO ranch near Kerrville. It is very well known but in my opinion only offers a canned hunt. Not exactly what I would call bragging rights. Based on the amount of buisiness they do their is apparently a market for such hunts. At The Yo you pick a animal. Say A whitetail. Then you pay for the size you like, say 150 B&C. When you arrive you watch video of the animals they have in that class. Select the one you like. The next morning when your "hunt" begins your animal will already be in a High Fenced Sub Area of several hundred acres. Not very sporting in my opinion. Again I do think it can offer something to the person who is disabled. My wife and I helped sponsor a hunt for a lad that had cancer and wanted to take a monster whitetail. Places like this offer a viable remidy with garunteed sucess. Now on the other hand anyone who thinks that all Texas ranches and exotics are a pick n shoot needs to go on a true texas ranch hunt in the Mountains and chase a Auodad. Let me know how "easy" ity was when you get back !

Contact Us NitroExpress.com