NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/07/22 12:20 AM
Safety in Bear country article

"Safety in Bear Country: Protective measures and bullet performance at short range"

"Interesting read for all you DG and backcountry folks out there."

http://www.veritasresearchconsulting.com/Shoot/USDA-FS-GTR_PNW152.pdf

ThreeThreeEight
(.224 member)
11/07/22 04:36 AM
Re: Safety in Bear country article

No real surprises in that paper. The one glaring shortcoming is that they have been very restricted on bullet choice. That aside the 4 cartridges that fill the top spots are not surprising by any means.

I use all four of them, but I am generally carrying either the .338, .375 or (when guiding and not hunting myself in brownie or polar bear country) the .458. My Win Model 70 .458 had it's barrel chopped to 21 inches and NECH express sights installed. Cerakoted with a composite stock, it is great to carry in really crappy weather....which we get a lot of.

Ripp
(.577 member)
11/07/22 06:46 AM

Interesting article--printed it out to read when I get a little reading time at home.. older article so doesn't take into account numerous calibers I feel would do better than many listed..

Still and interesting article..

Have only done it once but do agree with the comment.. "Following a wounded brown bear into the thick brush is something many wish to avoid"...

ThreeThreeEight
(.224 member)
11/07/22 09:04 AM

Yes, following wounded brown/grizzly bears into the thick stuff gets the blood and adrenaline pumping. Did it quite a few times over the years when guiding hunters on the coast along the salmon streams. Truly one of the greatest hunts on the planet.

Ripp
(.577 member)
11/07/22 09:21 AM

Quote:

Yes, following wounded brown/grizzly bears into the thick stuff gets the blood and adrenaline pumping. Did it quite a few times over the years when guiding hunters on the coast along the salmon streams. Truly one of the greatest hunts on the planet.

Absolutely ...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com