DarylS
(.700 member)
06/01/08 02:09 AM
Re: Bore calibre muzzleloaders from South Africa

I checked the web site supplied in the first post. I see absolutely no point in shooting a modern rifle that loads from the muzzle.
: I can load any large bore (or whatever calibre) modern rifle - Mauser, Remington, Wichester, Weatherby, Rigby, H&H or whatever, from the muzzle with lead slugs or sabots, does that make it a muzzleloader?
:What's the point of those things? An excuse to extend one's hunting season - it certainly won't give the satisfaction one dervies from hunting with a real muzzleloader.
; I'm serious - any of the guys of this forum with double rifle who wants to shoot an inline - you already are, just change the way you load it - there's your muzzleoader right there. Shove the bullet down the bore to the mark on the rod, open the breech and prime with a case full of black powder and you have exactly the same thing as a bloody inline.
: In case you don't understand this - you merely use a bore size lead bullet that's .001" to .002" larger than the bore on one or two bands, or one of those silly plastic base band bullets with slightly oversize plastic base and bore size nose. I've done this in the .50/70 and .45/70's to get ore capacity in testing larger charges, similar to the 2.5 to 3-1/4" cases. To get greater capacity, you must load with a primed case in the chamber. Dump in the powder charge from the muzzle, then seat the easy loading bullet- people have been doing this for many years - Maynard centrefire breechloaders have been loaded that way since the 1850's. They supplied a steel case head that could be primed, then the rifle was loaded from the muzzle as any muzzleloader. This didn't turn the gun into a muzzleloader except in the maner in which it was loaded. It was still a breech loading gun.
; In the .458's Lyman sells a mould that casts 480gr. to 490gr. 'Whitworth' or "Volunteer Rifle" bullets at .451". These are loaded from the muzzle in any .458 rifle, same as they were in the original, but true muzzleloading rifles.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com