Dphariss
(.300 member)
07/07/07 04:56 PM
Re: Building a big bore

The 16 bore is in the white and shooting though I haven't got it shooting as well as I want. Found an unexpected hoop day before yesterday and jumped through it or so it seems and now its showing promise. I need to put a tang sight on the thing or get one of those aperture thingys for my eyeglasses.
Unless the light is bright the sights get too fuzzy to shoot.

With the Nock breech it makes about 1750FPS average with 140gr weighed of FFG Swiss. This will really make a 3+- gal plastic jug of water "splash". Just had to try this. Wife gets cat litter in the jugs.
With 110 from my volume measure it makes about 1640 fps. This is about as low as I want to go for flat trajectory.
The 140 grain load makes pretty heavy recoil, for Dan anyway, in a 10 pound rifle. But the buttstock design is good and it does not mark the shoulder at all though 20 rounds or so will make one a little sore. The 110 gr load is much nicer.
Will do an update when I get it colored, but that may not be for a few months depending on circumstances. Why I am shooting it white for now. Time crunch.

Dan

Contact Us NitroExpress.com