BlainSmipy
(.375 member)
15/12/05 07:04 AM
Re: Big bore big Game penetration

I've already used 130 grains with no ill effects. However, I would like to know your reasoning for mentioning the limit of 100 grains? So far I've found the quality of the gun exceptional, However if you know something I don't please inform me(us). I've read nothing but good things about the Pedersoli Kodiak's, many people have taken them to Africa and used them with great success. I did read one account of the 45-70 that had issues, But that was only one fellow...with what appears to be some very bad luck with his.

I can understand the smaller bores like 50cal, as this would be a magnum charge in any muzzle loader of that caliber. However, with the larger bore and cavity size the same load should produce lower pressures in the .72. At least this is my understanding. Of course you can also get into the whole type of powder, manufacturer, real vs. substitute etc... So 100 grains seems a bit arbitrary a number to me, but hey I'll be the first to admit I'm new to muzzle loaders and black powder guns.

Colorado<--newbee to 'loder's

Contact Us NitroExpress.com