ironoxide
(.224 member)
21/06/21 08:21 AM
Pedersoli Kodiak. 58 double shooting left - technique advice

I bought my Pedersoli Kodiak double with two sets of barrels. 58 cal patched round ball and. 50 cal with a fast twist. This is about the .58 cal barrels.

I've had the gun for two years and when I first got it I developed a fair load for it that puts both barrel shots in the black(around 8in) at 100m consistently when shot in standing position with a stock for left hand support. However, back then while shooting for groups I didn't care much that the gun was shooting to the left (both barrels).

This happens when shooting from a bench, over cross sticks when seated as well as in standing position with left hand support. If I wrap the fingers of my left hand over the barrels the magnitude of the effect increases.

I used a laser boresight to verify barrels are straight. I must be doing something to cause the gun to shoot left.

I have to tell you I have many other (single barrel) guns that I shoot fine. I also dry fired the gun many times (with small lead cups over nipples) to make sure I'm not flinching or jerking the gun. When dry firing the gun doesn't move.

I also tried very low loads to check if maybe the recoil is going the wrong way and it made no difference with charges as small as 40 grains when there is almost no recoil.

I don't know what am I doing to cause it, but it must be something particular to double rifles. Please instruct me on proper shooting technique and what error may be causing this? Alternatively, what books do you suggest I get? I already have Cal Pappas book on doubles. It has a short section on shooting technique, but it seems I need more info (or practice?). However, so far practicing allowed me to get tighter groups, but it did nothing for the "shooting left" problem.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com