DarylS
(.700 member)
10/08/20 02:51 AM
Re: Gibbs African Rifle 72 caliber

About ball and patch fit!

I would suggest a tighter patch. With paper patched bullets, you are relying upon obturation of the bullet to fit the grooves. Likely as well, with paper patched bullets, the bore will be wiped
every shot. With a patched ball, the tight fit between the bottom of the grooves and the patch AND ball makes for the cleaning, softening fouling situation between shots.
The patched ball cleans the previous shot as it is loaded. If the patch is not a tight enough fit, there will be powder flame blow-by, burning the patch and destroying it's ability to do it's job,
that of sealing and wetting the fouling. The thicker the patch, the more lube it carries. Lube for a hunting load is very important. We've found real Neetsfoot Oil And Track's Mink Oil to be the best, the mink oil the
best. If you cannot shoot 10 shots without having to wipe the bore, the patch is not thick enough OR the ball is too small for that patch.
I have found 12 and 14 ounce denim to be terrific patch material. I run new material (I buy several yards at a time) twice through the washer, once with soap, the second time without soap,
using a double rinse each time - then into the dryer on medium heat.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com