NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/02/20 06:43 PM
Re: Whitetail Safari Rifle? Pedersoli's .72 Caliber Safari Expre

Quote:

Like myself, you probably have many questions and concerns about it. You have likely scoured the internet for answers to no avail, I know I did. Well, I have spent the last year getting sweet and intimate with mine and I will do all I can to steer you right.

Glenn posted a link to this article on the NE Society of Gentlemen Adventurers facebook page.

I queried Glenn as had he never encountered the first and best double rifle forums on the internet?!

And he, not withstanding the quotation above and had been a member here, but left fairly quickly as we were not a friendly forums!!!

I queried this, and he responded, "just mention a .45/70 in a Marlin or Ruger is an adequate dangerous game rifle."

Ha ha, I can guess this sort of comment could get some ire from experienced cape buffalo hunters. Also it is a standard topic of choice by many a troll back some ten plus years. The marketing BS written by a hard cast bullet maker on the topic also does not help.

I also replied with what I often say on such topics. Things like:
- the definition of the word adequate may often differ between people. Particularly among experienced buffalo hunters. With dangerous game no cartridge choice is ideal or perhaps adequate if it can not handle ALL likely encounters, not just an undisturbed broadside shot.
- There is a big difference between a Marlin with its tubular magazine and a Ruger or a Siamese Mauser in .45/70. A Ruger is also a single shot. Again adequacy might be questioned.
- .45/70's have been used on cape buffalo of course. And used well to kill them.
- I was in the Matetsi Safari Area when a client with HHK shot a bull elephant - with a different rifle. He tested out his Marlin with 540 gr flat hard cast projectiles for penetration. The bullets penetrated about a metre. He planned to return the next year to hunt with the Marlin.

Glenn said he might look in here again.

We won't give him a hard time over his comments. Ha ha.

Back to the .72 Pedersoli.

I wanted one of these. But the Green River Works gunshop in Adelaide had a .58 DR Pedersoli Kodiak second hand for sale for an attractive price. So decided to try that one out first. I have only ever used minie style projectiles and they have shot pretty hopeless. Been discussed on NE in the past. ONE DAY I will put some round balls through it and I expect better results. Need to start casting and see if I have a mould already or not. Each barrels shoots them fine, they just do not regulate. A single barrel .58 would be fine.

Its never been a priority, but I do like the flame and smoke of a BP muzzle loader.

I like Glenn's article, and found it enjoyable. Hopefully he does drop in again.

PS While on the topic of dangerous game. I believe I have read in the past about a guy using on the Pedersoli Kodiaks in .72 on buffalo (?). I don't remember the end result?

How do you think a .72 BP ML would perform on buffalo?

From historical recollections, a 12 gauge ML was not considered a good choice for large dangerous game. People did use them, but not always to satisfactory results.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com