Heelerau
(.300 member)
23/02/19 11:18 PM
Re: Something Rusty! My Great Grandfathers ML shotgun

The old girl might still be a shooter. All depends on how badly pitted it is in the chamber area. After checking to see if its loaded you could soak the breech end in a 50/50 mix of acetone and auto trans fluid for a few weeks that with a little heat you could remove the old cones carefully. Have a chat to Alan Vaisham, if you don't know him, pm me and I can give you his telephone number. He at the very least can put you in touch with someone who will be able to help you. Oil and steel wool on the locks and barrels. You can run a hone down them. I would not remove the breech plugs as it would be ver easy to spring the ribs. Stock may come up ver nice with O' Cedar furniture oil, or my other favourite pale boiled linseed 2/3 by volume with gum turpentine and well hand rubbed. Do the locks still hold on half and full bent? As Daryl says fill both bores up with solvent, the acetone and trans oil will still do this and leave it for a good while and check for leaks other than out the old cones.

Cheers

Gordon

Contact Us NitroExpress.com