cordite
(.333 member)
27/03/18 12:06 PM
Re: Dram verses Drachm

Quote:

Very nice rifle, I thought the thread was on a single barrel as I was thinking it would not regulate with such a under load if in Drachm's ?

I will note in the front of "The Sporting Rifle & Its Projectiles" by Lt Forsyth is a small not from the publisher that Lt Forsyth is referring to Dram 27 1/2grs & not the 60grs of the Drachm in the book !

With the full load you could shoot Buff with a harden ball ?

It does regulate pretty well with the lighter load. So will have to see what happens with more powder. Sometimes these large bore guns do not respond the same way as one would expect a small bore nitro gun to respond. In my limited experience, changes in charge weight make for relatively small changes in regulation.

Well there you go. Lt Forsyth's publisher was trying to reduce the confusion brought about by mixing dram and drachm.

I'm sure it would do fine on a buff with the heavier loading. I've shot several deer and a black bear with a 12 bore single shot. A double rifle would be much more comforting when after dangerous game. I know when I shot that Alaskan black bear I would have felt more secure with a double though it was not needed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com