Heelerau
(.300 member)
22/03/18 08:43 AM
Re: Black Powder Patch and Bullet Lube

Here in Western Australia, our winters being ver mild by Canadian standards, quite hot I suspect, according to my Canadian Brother in Law. I have been using Dutch Shoultz dry patch in my bore rifle, 6 to 1 ballistol to water. I load a card over powder, then a thick hard greased felt wad ( soaked in lard only ) then the patched ball. This seems to work well enough to clean the fouling and means I can load a good number of shots without wrecking my wooden ram rod and hands. Not having the sort of cold you Northern Hemisphere blokes have to cope with, we have more of a problem with fouling going dry. I have found spit patch in my small bore long rifles works fine to. I am thinking it seems to be a ver individual thing re lubes and the rifles dictate what they like best. I shoot a tight combination in my .50 Missouri plains rifle, and less tight combinations in my small bore rifles so I do not need a short starter, which is great when out hammering the bugs bunnys ! I have seen Pukkas' match lock on the other forum, and it is most impressive. I set up for a mate one of the Nepalese Brown Besses, and it is not a bad old girl to shoot ! I would not mind getting on of those F Models, as I had something similar when I was a kid, had a lot of fun with it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com