DoubleD
(.400 member)
08/03/18 09:39 PM
Re: Black Powder Patch and Bullet Lube

I use Udderly Smooth hand cream. For dry patched balls I push the ball in flush with muzzle, filled the recess with Udderly Smooth from the Tube. Seat the ball.

I don't use many new guns now just old muskets from the Nepalese Cache. 170 year old English made muskets. Stil as stong and robust as the day they were made. Bores are not bad, but not pristine either. They smooth up with a few shots, but still have may a spot or two that will tear up a patch. Remember these things sat in unattended storage for over 140 years. with these guns I use a shotgun wad over 120 grain of Fg powder. Push a ball flush in the muzzle and fill the recess with Udderly Smooth. Seat a wad over ball and seat all on powder.

Used this in warm Summer Alberta and cold winter Oklahoma. Works just fine. Keeps fouling and your hands soft.

I have also taken to dipping a loaded black cartridge nose first into a tub of Udderly Smooth and shooting in my Martini's. Works great especially for the shooting the 13 round Victorian Rifleman Provincial Match. Bore wipes clean of fouling with dry patches. Still needs regular cleaning.

I buy in drug stores and Walmart in the tubes-look in hand creams section. Tubs I buy online.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com