DarylS
(.700 member)
07/03/18 11:15 AM
Re: Black Powder Patch and Bullet Lube

I have and use mink oil as well as Neetsfoot Oil for patches, especially for hunting - have to for hunting. No water based or water soluble lubes/oils for hunting - rot your barrel with the introduction of moisture, from the air or otherwise.

In my .32 I tried mink oil during a winter shoot. The second through 50th shots loaded easier than the first. Dan Ph.(I think) thought it might be due to the residual WD40 dried in the barrel, not liking the mink oil. I suppose that is a definite possibility. After that first shot, the gun got easier to load & easy the rest of the day, no wiping. I was using a .320" ball and .022" patch. The bore was .320" & had 'backwards' rifling, wide land, narrow grooves. Those balls are so small, they are easily drawn into the bore, becoming very short, but still sightly elongated bullets.

I haven't tried mink oil in the new .36 Rice barrel on that rifle now, but expect even easier loading (if that is possible) due to being a VERY smooth barrel.

Sure loads easily with the WWWF+ a bit of Neestfoot Oil.

We use this for target shooting all year. The reason for the Winter Windshield Wwasher Fluid is to prevent freezing in the winter time. The reason for the oil added to it (about 2oz. per quart) is it adds a bit of slipt-tivity(as Taylor calls it) and slows the evapouration in the summer when shooting the trails here and at Rendezvous B.C. near Kamloops. It can get up around 100F some years.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com