DarylS
(.700 member)
23/10/17 12:10 PM
Re: Isaac Hollis and Son 12 Bore Rifle

I find the rear thigh material and front and rear calf material is usually true. I guess it depends on what the wearer did while wearing them. The wear patterns of a horse rider will differ.

Gordon, I would try straight greased patch. The wad you are using is why the (likely) thin dry patches are not burning up.

If you are happy loading it this way (wad and dry patch) - stay with it.

Your accuracy is improving all the time - familiarity and improving bore condition certainly helps.

Scotch Brite square cut(red suggested), on a tight jag, run with light oil up and down the bore will polish the bore nicely yet not hurt the rifling.

I personally use, more often than not, brand new material that I buy by the yard or meter. Denim, in 10 ounce (.022") or 12 ounce.

My 14 bore likes the 12 ounce (.030"), but it has rougher bore than normal due to the poor reaming job when it was made. It feels smooth, always has, but the cross reaming marks are still easily seen on the top of the lands. The grooves are smooth.

I thought you noted having to aim at the top of the black - thus, it was shooting low.

I suspect the 3rd shot that went low, had been aimed at the middle, same with the 1st shot, rather than aimed higher.

My 14 bore puts the first, clean bore shot into the group at 100 yards, with it's hunting load.

I figured this was normal for large bore rifles.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com