Heelerau
(.300 member)
23/10/17 08:46 AM
Re: Isaac Hollis and Son 12 Bore Rifle

Daryl, I started off with 3 drams of Fg (Goex) and that shot down near the 1 and 2 ring, I progressivly increased the charge by 1/2 dram and that has brought the point of impact up to where it is now at the point of aim. I have thought to stay with Fg because of the barrels age. I could still obtain a tighter ball as this one is .71, the other thing is trying a greased patch instead of the Balistol and Water that I am currently using. I will try a greased patch first. The bore seems to be polishing up nicely, the few little patches of rust are now gone and the rifle loads easily. The patches come out quite undamaged. I will weigh the balls next time as well. I am not sure ultimately what sort of accuracy to expect from this rifle as there are no others really reporting on theirs, and next to nothing on the net generally on this type of rifle. I just had another look at Taylor's rifle on the ALR, looks like I still have a bit of work to do.
93, I am throwing charges from a flask, but it might be more to do with the patch thickness and lubrication. I am using old jean denim so there may be a little inconsistency re the thickness.

Cheers

Gordon

Contact Us NitroExpress.com