DarylS
(.700 member)
23/08/17 02:27 AM
Re: Isaac Hollis and Son 12 Bore Rifle

A grease wad, capable of being blended with the powder flame, will certainly help. Card wads will prevent the powder flame from melting the lube ball (flattened disk) and softening the powder fouling.

This is how paper patched slugs are loaded for BL Ctg. matches. This allows the powder flame to melt the lubed disk combine with the fouling to keep the fouing soft.

I've only used wax paper disk wads with my lube balls in the past, however Ctg. Curl here at NE has used the bee brood foundation in his Paper patched bullet'd loads to perfect success.

A bee-brood foundation beeswax disk was is placed on the powder, then a lube wad or ball of it (BP fouling bullet lube - NO ALOX) is run down or a ball or dropped onto the disk of Beeswax, then the patched ball or bullet loaded.

Personally, with a muzzleloader, I'd simply use an oil or greased patch.

Using a range rod with jag on the front and scrubbing the bore with red Scotch Brite will slick up the bore quite quickly. A light oil on the Scotch Brite 'patch' will lift the 'scrubbings' and hold them in the patch.

Having to load the disk and lube ball, for me, complicated the otherwise easy job of loading.

Beeswax/Vaseline mixed 60:40 to 50:50 will make you a good lube. This mixture has worked well for me.

Paraffin wax with neetsfoot oil was not as good. Beeswax and Olive Oil has also worked, but not as well as Vaseline and beeswax.

Needing wads of any sort complicates loading that should be quite simple, as in greased patch and ball.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com