Heelerau
(.300 member)
18/08/17 10:14 PM
Isaac Hollis and Son 12 Bore Rifle

Gents have been working on this old rifle for awhile, it is Forsyth style rifling in .72 I am using a .71 mould at the moment with heavy denim patch. Have just made up some patch strips of heavy denim with Dutch Schoultzs' balistol and water mix, 7 to 1 by volume water to balistol. The patch strip are now drying and I will be giving her a work out on the bench Sunday. Last time out I was getting about a 5 inch group at 50 yards off the bench. The bore was a bit rusty when I first got her and have been cleaning it up by shooting and the bore is coming along nicely. Charge is 120 grains of Fg Goex Black, and is surprisingly comfortable to use . I have to use a short starter to get the patched ball down, and to date have been using mink oil patch lube. I am hoping the soluble oil water mix will be a lot better. I have also fitted a nice new platinum lined cone. I am not expecting target accuracy from the old girl but maybe 3 inches or so, will keep posting results as they come along. Not much information out there on the net re shooting these classic English ounce rifles

Cheers

Gordon

Contact Us NitroExpress.com