DarylS
(.700 member)
30/06/17 04:35 PM
Re: Joseph Lang

At the Range- if this works. Phtobucket has screwed with my pictures.

These, from my computer to a site uploading service, then transferred here.

Taylor's post about the day.

"Daryl and I went to our gun club this morning to fire the Joseph Lang rifle (posted in Antique Forum) and have some fun. Daryl brought his Taylor Made .69 cal rifle...he's not the kind who can just watch. With my Lang rifle I chose to start with three drams of GOEX 2Fg (82 gr.) and the .650" ball cast in my new Jeff Tanner mould. At 40 yds, where the first target stand happened to be this morning, my rifle produced a ragged one hole group. I found I had to tap the rear sight just a tad left to centre the group, and it shot some three and a half inches high using the 100 yd. sight at this close range.
At 100 m. (109 yds) and with the same sight picture and sight, the rifle shot about four inches low, so I held, as best I could, a little of the front blade and bead above the bottom of the notch and fired a five shot group. I had increased the charge to 85 gr. just so it'd be easier to reset later. I must say, I am not disappointed with the rifle's accuracy, with this first outing. I found my patches were a little thin and had cut marks from the lands, so I had switched to some of Daryl's patches, lubed with a blue wet stuff.
Meanwhile, Daryl shot his five shot group as well. The results are posted below...comments are welcome, as if I could prevent it!

5 round 100 meter bench group facsimiles

I ended up buying lunch!

Taylor"

I pulled one, dammit. Oh well. Also, in his writing n the targets, he forgot to mention who shot the tight group & got my ball weight wrong 460gr.WW. The .682's weigh 482gr.

Yes - his Lang did fine for first time out. Very well indeed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com