DarylS
(.700 member)
17/11/14 03:36 PM
Re: New Pedersoli Gibbs Afrcan Hunter .72 Rifle!

I think the mould in the picture is the .725" mould.
I have a .710 mould that should cast pure lead at about .708".

If you'd send me your address - PM, I'll mail it to you. I am not using it at the present.

In my opinion, a .690" (14 bore) ball is way too small. I am currently using a .684" ball in a .690" bore with .010" to .012" rifling, .710 groove to groove. That puts the ball I use, a total of .026" to .028" smaller than the groove diameter. .013" to .014" per side.

In that rifle I use a minimum of a .0235" patch with light loads and a .030" denim patch for my hunting loads with a pure lead ball. With a hardened ball, I use a .675" ball in the .690" bore and the same .030" patch wich I feel, loads easily - for me. The lands do not cut the ball, there is not blow-by as seen by scorching on the patch (brown streaks)or burn marks. The fired patches are re-usuabe - more lube and load them again.

With that math in mind, that would equate to a .732"(your groove dia) - .708"(pure lead from a .710" mould") = .024", ie: minimum of .012" per side just to get to the bottom of the grooves - in shallow or deeper rifling, THAT combination will not seal and gasses will blow past the ball, burning the patch, fouling the bores and destroying accuracy. With a .708" ball and at least an .018" to .020" patch, you should be able to seal the bore, shoot cleanly (no wiping) and give acceptable accuracy. An even tighter combination will give better accuracy yet.

The first step is re-crowning the bores. A tapered stone held in an electric drill quickens this process considerably and takes only a few seconds to get the initial angle, finished off with emery or 320 wet/dry paper around the stone, then your thumb with same paper then crocus cloth. That is what I would do, were the rifle mine. I would be interested in getting the best accuracy from it, that was possible for me to accomplish.

From what we've seen here from other posts in the past, it might take considerable powder to get good accuracy as well as good regulation. The higher the pressures (greater the powder charge) involved, the tighter the combination must be.

Wish someone around here would buy one of those - I'd love working with it after the success I had with the .58 DR.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com