DarylS
(.700 member)
08/01/14 06:25 AM
Re: New Pedersoli Gibbs Afrcan Hunter .72 Rifle!

Just looked at it again (Pedersoli's pictures) - no rear sight - just a peep. It might be workable - if the hole is large enough and the sight doesn't stick into your forehead or eyeball upon recoiling. I feel one needs a barrel mounted sight - just my opinion.

If you look at it this way - Pedersoli rifles shoot well and have been shooting well for many years. My double .58 was case in point. Since it's a single barrel, regulation is not nor will be a problem. If the rifling is normal - I see it has 6 lands and grooves and it should be about .008" deep.

This one does look very nice!

I would not take the chance of 'shaking' (breaking) the stock by shooting slugs - they are not needed in a bore of that size. Samuel Baker's writings tell us that, of muzzleloaders.

A decently loaded round ball will give you all the recoil you want, I'm sure.

I find there are not a WHOLE lot of people who know how to load their rifles to get their best accuracy. Most people pick a patch material that is too thin - pick a charge rather than work one up and complain if they cannot hit what they want - or if the gun does not give them the accuracy they think it should.

Many more, pick a patch material - something wayyyyyyy too thin, ie: .015 or thinner - hankie or panty material- (the gusset might work - HA!) pick a load, ie; 60 or 80gr. and if they can hit the paper - they're happy.

I know you are not one of those people, but those might be the people you are reading.

All of the local guys my brother and I shoot and compete with are serious shooters with their ML's - all of them know about using a decent load (ball/patch) and working up loads or they use our suggested material for patches and a decent load and thus are getting decent accuracy. They all know about proper crowning and realize NO commercial maker crowns a barrel so they can load a decent load without cutting the patch.

All said - the parts and workmanship appear to be good. The nipple/fence/hammer relationship is perfect. BRAVO! about time!

I'm sure you can get it to shoot very well. I'm doubly sure it will shoot well given a re-crown and good combinations.

Quality parts alone needed to build a normal average Sporting rifle cost more than $1,000 CDN. Paying Pedersoli $400.00 for building it is not much for a decent ML hunting rifle in my opinion. I'm sure my brother or Steve Zihn would probably charge $4,500.00 for that rifle - maybe more.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com