DarylS
(.700 member)
18/04/12 01:23 AM
Re: On Any Sunday

I haven't hunted with my ML for a number of years, but yes - I've hunted in these conditions, except it was always colder, with my 14 bore rifle.
We used to have a special weapons hunt for moose and deer- late, end of November, early December. The temp was usually around the 0F mark, but would dip to -55F at times.

The day pictured above was only -14C - about 7 or 8F. The young fellow who tagged along with Brad (shooting) was cold and miserable - it would have been worse had Brad not insisted he wear a spare camo-parka. The boy's running shoes did not help his comfort level.

We're actually standing (where their feet are) on the trail which has been packed down all season and about 4' off the actual ground level. You can see the wire of the flying goose target, through the smoke - at that spot, the wire is 10' off the ground. By this time of the year, we usually are restricted to the number of targets still visible on our trail walk through the bush as many are buried.

The young lady holding my little .40 rifle, retrieved the goose's pull rope for us and went to her arm pits in the snow when she jumped off the trail to grab it hanging in a tree, a few inches off the snow. We had to help her back onto the trail.

That was a fun day and with Brad in both pictures, memories of a good guy and really good hunting partner.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com