DarylS
(.700 member)
26/07/11 01:11 AM
Re: Black Powder PRB for Buff

Sounds good. Les Bauska made up a pair of 14 bore barrels for a friend who was going to make up a DR. I lost touch with him long ago and never knew if he'd built that 'smasher'. (on NA game)

One thing about 12's over 14's - it takes a LOT more powder to get 1,500fps from them - over 200gr., whereas the 14 bore will do it with 6 drams. There is a difference in power and penetration - that's a given.

The Indian Elephant head penetration Baker was speaking of with a 14 bore ball, was driven by only 4 1/2 drams(123gr.) - but - was probably good C&H#6 powder - equivalent to about 5 or 6 drams of our GOEX - 135gr. to 165gr.

I used 165 for moose in my 14 bore, not because I thought they needed that power but just because that charge game me the trajectory (velocity) I was looking for - a 3" point blank to 130yards - to get that trajectory with a large bore ball, is splendid indeed. The larger bores cannot do this with any load you'd like to shoot from a normal 9 1/2 poiund or 10 pound hunting rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com