DarylS
(.700 member)
19/07/09 11:49 PM
Re: Goex vs Schuetzen Powder?

Rich- if you use an appropriate patch/ball combination, along with a descent lube, you don't have to wipe the bore while you are shooting.

I clean the bore when I get home, preferring to shoot while at the range, not clean.

If you've a good polished crown, radiused and smooth, you can easily load what I call a descent ball/patch combination.

My formula calls a ball that is .005" smaller than the bore (or larger than this) and a patch that measures .020" to .022" in denim, ticking or linen. Those measurements are with a michrometer, not calipers. If using calipers, add .003".

If you cannot load this combination, your crown is too sharp, or perhaps you need more practise.

No one we shoot with needs to wipe the bore during an entire day's shooting - up to or over 100 shots. The fouling never builds up.

We all use short starters, hand made, not one of the lightweight, cheap pieces of crap you can buy. I prefer a section of moose antler base for the knob. It adds weight and is solid bone, not porous. The shaft is 3/8" to 7/16" depending on bore size and is up to 7" long.

We use many different lubes - Hoppe's 9 PLUS, LehighValley Lube, Winter Windshield Washer fluid with a squirt of soap added and of course, spit. The composition of the lube doesn't matter. Licking the patch doesn't constitute a spit lubricated patch. No matter what the lube, it must totally 'wet' the patch through. No- it won't spoil the powder charge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com