bp72double
(.224 member)
01/03/09 04:36 PM
Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure?

Daryl, thanks for the super informative post. I was wondering about lowering the nipple seats too-tried to think of a way to take an xray to show the chamber configuration, but since it's a double barrel I don't think I can get the right angle to show what I'd need to see. Maybe a straight lateral image but I don't think my xray machine will go thru 2 barrels adequately. You make a good case for just sticking with 2f black powder! It's so much cheaper and works so well, I really may not bother with the Pyrodex. I can buy Goex directly from a distributor, so no hazmat fee-hence $12/lb price. I will do the chamfer job-sounds easy enough. I'll shove a rag down the barrel to catch any stray abrasives or filings. That patch combo sounds pretty tight-I know I couldn't do it now without a big hammer. I've tried a denim patch and a .715 pure lead ball and it won't fit without a pounding. Lands should be .724 according to specs, though I haven't miked 'em myself yet. You're right about the conicals I think. I don't see how they could stay put in that left barrel with the recoil produced and that would be baaad with this much powder. It isn't a long distance gun anyway; I'm planning on getting a Whitworth for that, or maybe a Gibbs. 75 yards or so, and these big round balls really seem to smash things! I shot an 18" section of pressure treated 6x6 lumber at 50 yards or so, and sent it flying several feet, leaving a 2" hole on the exit side. Love that! I've been working on a fitted wood case for the gun and accessories, learning how to do that during the winter months here.
thanks again
Richard

Contact Us NitroExpress.com