DarylS
(.700 member)
15/11/08 06:58 AM
Re: Zihn/Rigby rifle

Tatume- I've used beesweax/vaseline mix, heavier on the vaseline, lighter on the beeswax for patch lube with reasonably good results, and 60/40 mix for bullets for black powder, beeswax to vaseline this time. I've wanted to try using olive oil instead of vaseline but haven't mixed any up as of yet. Even though vaseline is a petrolium product and shouldn/t work with black powder, it works when combined with beeswax for some odd reason. Great BP bullet lube for BP CTG guns = 60:40 BW/Vas.

As to Hoppe's #9 Plus, it's a great patch lube for hunting, as is mink oil. In my .69, mink oil shoots as well as spit patch - 5 shtos routinely into 1 1/2" or less at 100 meters - off bags, of course. Any lube used, needs a barrier between the powder and the lubed patch, to keep from spoiling the charge. So loaded, my .69 has hit centre after being loaded for 3 months - mink oil patch. This was before I discovered Hoppe's. I prefer the mink oil as it doesn't 'dry'. Hoppe's and LehighValleyLube will dry on the patch. They'll still lubricate THAT shot, but won't soften the fouling left in the bore for an easy second loading. This is where the greases work better as in Mink Oil- really a grease until you tough it with your finger. Great stuff for hunting.

I had to keep my charges low when using WW balls. Harder than WW isn't necessary for anything State-side and I doubt for anything in Africa either. WW works very well in paper ctgs. for the large bores for a fast second shot - especially in freezing weather. 8 seconds to load, aim and fire the .69 rifle. It's English Styling makes this possible - short 30" barrel is fast loading. Paper ctgs. that lightly engrave the lands - rip of the base and stick the opened ctg. into the muzzle. By the time you get the rod out, the powder's drained into the breech. Shove the paper ctg. down onto the powder and the paper wads against the powder and prevents gas blow-by- spins the ball and accuracy in my rifle was on -par with the patched pure lead balls - 1 1/2" or better - same group. I used 165gr.2F GOEX and .022" denim patches on the pure lead balls.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com