DarylS
(.700 member)
26/12/07 11:01 AM
Re: 8x60 Magnum oberndorf

400NE, you are needlessly making noise orver somehing none of us can measure. The same rifles here are chambered for the .270, .280, .25/06, .30/06, .308 Winchester etc, all loaded to slightly different pressure on the same base case. The '06 itself is loaded to slightly lower pressures than the new rounds on the same brass as I indicated, due to the Springfield rifles.
: I've been shooting Mausers, Winchesters and Remingtons in a variety of factory and custom chamberings for over 40 years now, all loaded to virtually the same pressure levels without loading to blowing primers as you indicated. The only time I've ever bought factory ammo is to test for base expansion. I go thorugh between 12,000 and 25,000 rounds of rifle ammo a year. I've never set the lugs back 'or worse', either. My original post had nothing to do with yours. I didn't even read yours. I merely made a true statement that you found fault with, erroneously in my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion as well.
; We are not very familiar with 'proof' here as nothing is 'proofed'. Ammo is loaded to specific pressure levels though, SAAMI standards are kept by all ammo mfgr.s.
; The same pressure allowable in any gun safely chambered for the .270., .25/06 or the others can be safely loaded to the that very same pressure in any calibre on the same action is all I said - IF the same brass is used. Sorry if I confused you.
; I really don't care what it is proved for, whether it's 63,000PSI or 65,000PSI - how do you tell the difference? - doesn't matter to me as a handloader as I do not have pressure testing equipment identical to the ammo mfgr's. One loads his ammo to a pressure level suitable for the action used. Whether or not the 8x60 or .30/06 has or doens't have European proofs- I couldn't care less. When I make up wildcat or other ammo using .06 brass in a good condition .98, I know what I can load it to after careful experimentation. To do otherwise is foolish.
; If you don't know how to do that, by firing factory allowed ammo and measuring case heads and rim expansion, then I suggest you shoot factory loaded ammo. The ultimate test in strong actions, on safe maximun loads is ctg. case longevity. If your brass is failing (expanded primer pockets after only 5 to 15 shots, your pressures are too high. If you are rubbing the ceiling and your brass is lasting 30 to 50 shots, then you are doing something right.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com