9.3x57
(.450 member)
17/11/07 05:05 AM
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62

Quote:

9ThreeXFifty7,

Sorry to rehash this subject.

Stuart

Not a problem! It is an interesting topic and as Daryl points out, not one in which all have the same comfort level.

The way I see it, the 96 is a strong action, but it simply does not have the safety features that were true improvements resulting in the 98. Gas venting in all aspects is much improved in the 98, and the 98 is for that reason alone deemed far more "safe" in my estimation, though "stronger" may or may not apply. It also possesses a safety lug in the rare event the main locking lugs shear.

One more aspect that might be of interest is also the reported {few, admittedly} failures of, IIR C 1942-made Husqvarna military actions the cause of which has been debated but may be a combination of poor heat treatment {temper} leaving the actions and/or bolts brittle and some ammunition problem. The real point to me is not so much that some actions let go, as probably all actions have had failures at some point, but rather the results of the failures, which as reported on the Swede forum in military service resulted in some catastrophic maimings and deaths. Again, this is not a broad indictment of the 94/96 action but merely a reflection on its lack of added safety features vis a vis the 98. A lug shear incident with a bolt that does not possess a safety lug is nothing to sneeze at, assuming the shooter has a nose left to sneeze...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com