blackberry9
(.224 member)
15/09/06 07:53 AM
Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ?

@mickey:

yes, thatīs true. In the time before WW2, the .318"-calibre was more used by hunters than the .323". Huntingrifles and more than they, drillings an other combinated Guns with .323"
in 8x57 are very rear. Maybe 90% of the older weapons were made for the .318"-buillets.

All military Mauser 98, like the Rifle M98, the very rare cavallery-carbine 98/02, the carbines K98a, K98b and the famous K98k have .323"-barrells, becaus the M98 was developed in 1895, in that year in wich the german army moved there barrelldia. from .318" to .323". (The builletdia. just changed 10 years later). The reason was that, that the older coatmaterial of the 227gr.FMJs made problems, when the buillets moved through the barrell. Some of them exploded.
The development of coated buillets was just in the beginninī on that time. So it was saftyer for the army-leadership tho whide up the barrells for .005". Later they got better quality-material for there builletcoats, it donīt sprites in the barrell. But now, the powdergas streams straight allong the buillets in the barrell, and they loose a lot of energy. That was the reason to change the builletdia. also to .323" in 1905.

German Mod.88 rifles have two calibres. The rifle wich were by the german army after 1895 also have the .323"-cal. But all which were sold to Turky and Ethiopia have the smaler .318"-cal. The 88īs which are on the marked today have a lot of changed parts from the sold rifles. When you buy a old rifle for the 8x57 which has no cal.mark on it, control the barrelldia. at the gunsmith-store.

Yes you can shoot the lighter loaded ammunition from different american sellers which works in both cal.dia., but they donīt show you the full energy-reserv of the 8x57.

regards
Manolito
(please forgive me my bad english, I hope you understand what I try to say.)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com