DoubleD
(.400 member)
16/03/06 07:23 AM
Re: Interarms bolt guns, Quality?

My guess is that is a Commercial Mauser action made by Zastava and imported by Interarms as an action and then built into a full rifle by a Gunsmith.

The Taylor I don't think was a ever chambered and sold by Interarms. You can look at the marking particulary on the barrel and you should be able to tell. Are the Factory roll engraved or hand stamped?

Just up the road from you is Susanville and Lassen Community College. They have/had a Gunsmithing course and the Interarms actions were a favorite action for classroom projects.

I have a 404 Express by FNB which I believe is an early BJ Express rifle. It predates the 416 Chatfield-Taylor. There is just some minor differences between the BJ Express and the Taylor. The BJ is just a hair bigger in the body at shoulder diameter, thus being less tapered than the Taylor. It is just a hair longer in neck length also. But for all pratical purposes they are the same. I use Taylor load data.

I found for jump shooting Whitetails out of weed patches in Montana wheatfields the 300 gr. Barnes X bullet is awesome. Knock them to the ground right now.

I use 300 WinMag brass. I believe the Taylor uses .458 brass. That brass is short in the neck for the BJ.

I will never get to go after dangerous game with my rifle, that sport being outside my meager budget, but I would use it for that activity given the chance.

If the price is right get the rifle and don't look back!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com