DPhillips
(.375 member)
10/12/05 07:48 PM
Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H

Hoping our esteemed members can provide some input.

So far, I haven't found a newly made 375 that I like. I've tried the Win M70, Ruger M77 RSM, and CZ 550. I'm looking for a CRF action, but the ones listed in the previous sentence are unwieldy and seem to be much heavier and bulky than needed.

I prefer a more streamlined and lighter action, I do like the pre-64 M70's that were opened up standard length actions, but prices are commanding a premium right now. Over the past few years, I've been looking for one of the Browning FN Safari's, but haven't found one.

Thinking of acquiring a FN chambered for 300 or 338 Win Mag and having the action opened to accomodate the H&H. I've seen posts in other forums that this procedure is not the most desireable thing to do because the front ring has to be opened a slight amount (the bulk of the butchering on back). I figure a new mag box and new bottom metal would be required, probably a new stock as well. Of course a rebarrel is more than likely, unless the barrel is about a 4 contour to begin with.

I just think a 375 should be a little more sveldt than the mack truck sized rifles we are seeing. I'd prefer the rifle to be 8-9 lbs. Ruger says their RSM is 9, but not the ones I've handled, they'll go 10-10.5, about the same as my 500 Jeffery. Am I just asking for trouble, or is this an idea with merit?

Thanks

Contact Us NitroExpress.com