Boomer
(.300 member)
08/10/05 05:45 AM
Re: BRNO ZKK 602

My 602 is perhaps the best bolt action hunting rifle I have ever owned. It is however a work in progress. When I got the rifle the original barrel had been shortened to 20". In the shortening process the front sight was ruined, and this combined with the fact that the bore was pitted, and the fact that I had access to a new barrel meant that the rifle would be quickly sent out to a gunsmith. I had originally thought of going to .378 Weatherby, but the cost of the brass had me settle for .375 RUM. By the way, the new 20" barrel chambered for the Ultra cartridge gives me the same velocities one would expect from an H&H chambering with a 26" barrel. The new barrel was a Smith Stainless fluted job with a Ruger front ramp already installed. The gunsmith made up a beautiful quarter rib which he inletted for a set of Talley QD rings. Here is when I learned that a gunsmith who is a wiz with benchguns might not know quite enough about the effects recoil has on a rifle stock. I asked for cross ribs - he said I didn't need em - next I had to drop not an inconsiquential amount of money - needlessly I thought - into a McMillan fiberglass stock. My new gunsmith - who performs magic apparently - understands what happens when a powerful rifle recoils - and the rifle is bedded accordingly - with cross bolts I might add. The new stock may prove to be a better idea anyway from a tough and stable point of view. It did create a new problem which I will have addressed over the next winter, and that is when I shoot rapid fire the knuckle of my middle finger gets sharply wrapped by the back of the trigger guard. The first shot is not a problem - neither is slow fire because I keep a low grip. In rapid fire however I am inclined to grip the pistol grip higher, bringing my unfortunate digit closer to get clubbed. I'll get my smith to design a filler for behind the trigger guard similar I'm thinking to those which used to be available for S&W revolvers which were issued with small grips. We have not as yet found a successful ghost ring rear sight, but that is also in the works.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com