grandveneur
(.400 member)
25/03/23 07:33 AM
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home

Quote:

Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

OK, I don't intend to continue this stupid, ridicules, debate over the past performance of the 10.75x68 cartridge. Just because someone had less than optimum success with the cartridge over 30 years ago has no direct bearing on its potential today.

Just like when the 458 WM was first introduced in 1956, it couldn't get 1950 fps with a 500g bullet. Yet today, with modern powders, it easily achieves 2150fps, and even over 2200 fps with some powders.

The 10.75x68 CAN achieve 2150 with a 400g bullet with today's modern powders. Perhaps the disappointed hunter should have traded his 10.75x68 rifle for something bigger and better, 31 years ago ... or practiced more with the rifle for better shot placement.

In the mean time, I started this post because of my joy at finding a wonderful classic Oberndorf Mauser, in such a rare caliber, not to have the cartridge criticized. I love my new rifle, in spite of criticized, rumored shortcomings. :}

I'm a little disappointed by this answer, but one can always be mistaken about the true personality of the members of a forum. But that doesn't matter, we don't know each other.

By the way, all three Buffaloes were one shot kills thanks to good shot placement, but based on what I found afterwards regarding the depth of the penetration, I should not have made a mistake.

I will not further burden your circle of collectors with my posts. I am just a hunter who, among other things, shot buffaloes in Africa and Southeast Asia with very different cartridges.

Have fun collecting !

Contact Us NitroExpress.com