buckstix
(.400 member)
24/03/23 11:44 AM
Re: A Mauser 10.75x68 Oberndorf Model B Safari rifle comes home

Quote:

"....In all these discussions, I am the only one who has shot buffaloes with this cartridge in Africa, two buffaloes with the original ammunition from RWS and the 22,5g thin jacketed bullet, one with a reloaded cartridge and a 347gr FMJ bullet from Woodleigh.

Hello grandveneur.
Thanks for the reply.
I saw the original post that you later deleted .. and I appreciate you have had bad experiences when you hunted with your 10.75x68 rifle. Although I'll never use my rifle in Africa, I'm a retired researcher, and I look to several sources before jumping to conclusions. That being said, I'm more inclined to believe Pierre van der Walt's opinions and personal experiences when he wrote about the 10.75x68 cartridge in his book "African Dangerous Game Cartridges"

Quote:

In all cases, as experienced big game hunters had previously noted, I found a lack of penetration.

Not so ! ... not all experienced big game hunters agree ... as Pierre writes about the cartridge, " ... Those who knew it well, kept on using it ... " The cartridge was used extensively by German, French, Belgian, Portuguese, Spanish and Italian Big Game hunters, for many decades, harvesting Elephants, Rhinos, and Buffalo.

Quote:

Therefore, before expressing a opinion on the effectiveness of this cartridge when hunting big game, it would be better to test it yourself. This cartridge is marginal for hunting big game, and to believe that modern bullets and powder can improve something is just wishful thinking.

To make such a blanket statement about the "cartridge" is just plain false. Maybe next time try a better load. If you develop a load using good quality bullets,
(such as those from Hornady) at a velocity of 2,100+ fps, (and you have "good shot placement") you will likely be successful.

In "my" opinion, common sense says; the Elephant or Buffalo doesn't know what "cartridge" just killed him - just the bullet.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com