kuduae
(.400 member)
18/03/23 11:23 PM
Re: Would you believe I found this - A Johann Peterlongo 11.2x72

Quote:

Its hard to see in the picture .. the bolt handle number is numbered "6328" which does not match the rifle action number of "26311". However, there is a small number "10" on the other side of the bolt handle. You can see in the pictures the same number "10" on the bottom of the action and on the bottom of the barrel. There is also a number "10" on the wedge. The trigger-guard assembly is numbered "311" which matches the last 3 numbers of the action number. I added a picture of the magazine spacer which is made of steel, not brass like those on the Schuler made rifles.

I take the „10“ as an assembly number by the shop that put the rifle together. Such assembly numbers served the purpose of keeping the fitted parts sorted during futher steps of hardening, polishing, bluing and so on.
Apparently the gunsmithes did not care much about keeping bought in Mauser parts sorted by Mauser serial numbers. It’s not unusual to find parts of several Mauser actions combined in one pre-WW1 rifle. Here the bolt from action number 26328 was used to complete action number 26311. Another such mixup may be seen in an old thread about a 9.3x62 rifle by Foerster, Berlin. On that rifle receiver and bottom metal of two 1908 commercial Mauser actions were combined with an even older Mauser bolt, see:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post231353

Contact Us NitroExpress.com