grandveneur
(.400 member)
05/03/23 05:37 AM
Re: My search is over - my newly acquired 11.2x72 Schuler Mauser

The problem with this cartridge is that there is no reliable load data. I also looked at the data from Quick Load, but they all take into account a cartridge length of around 89mm,sometime much more, that does not correspond to the reality. In order to get the cartridge into the magazine, you have to set the bullet much deeper so that the OAL is ultimately only 84.5mm and a lot of powder space is lost. You can clearly see that on many pictures of this cartridge. One cannot therefore rely on the specified velocities for the various load datas.

I load the cartridge with 81gr R 903 or 86gr R 904, more powder R 904 does not go in, with an specified velocity in the last case of around 2050 fps. I didn't measure it, but for many reasons I think that it is much higher, but it won't be much more than 2250 fps or 2300 fps. The recoil is significantly stronger than that of an rifle caliber 10,75x68 and more comparable to that of an rifle caliber 404 Jeffery.

I have never tried to make bullets myself because I don't need the rifle for hunting. I have a few others rifles for that.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com