buckstix
(.400 member)
25/02/23 10:37 PM
Re: HELP IDENTIFY - WHAT DID I BUY? - Johann Peterlongo 11mm

Quote:

per kuduae ....."Just a terrible suspicion came to my mind: Perhaps the barrel is still in 8x57I, but the muzzle is backbored to about 11 mm.
Doing this was a common practice to salvage a barrel with a worn out muzzle, but preserving the original front sight base.
The seller of the rifle may have looked at the muzzle only and guessed at "about 11 mm".

Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

If the rifle turns out to be an ordinary 8x57I with an altered muzzle as mentioned above by kuduae, I am really going to be pissed.

I paid a BIG premium for a prewar 11mm Big Game rifle. I collect Big Game rifles, not 8x57 sporters.

Also, I assumed the caliber was going to be 11.2x72 Schuler as that is the only 11mm I found commonly associated with Johann Peterlongo.
I spent over $500 to buy dies and 100 pcs of brass to load the 11.2x72 Schuler cartridge, which may turn out to be for a caliber I don't have.

Fortunately I didn't have to buy bullets because I already swage custom .439 dia. bullets for my 11.15x58R Austrian Werndl rifles.

Although I will do a chamber cast if its an 11mm, a simple "look" at the chamber and the muzzle will reveal if its an ordinary 8x57I caliber.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com