eagle27
(.400 member)
09/12/22 06:38 PM
Re: Rigby The Revolutionary

Quote:

Quote:

There was no such cartridge name as the "".275 Rigby""

CarlsenHighway:
I might suggest checking out the cartridges offered for sale by Mantons of Calcutta, on page 104 of their 1925 "Centenary Catalogue and Price List".
Right beside the .275 Mauser, they picture and name the .275 Rigby, No.2HV. That's just a couple of years shy of a full century of referring to the 140gr loaded cartridge as the .275 Rigby.
And that's in the hunting fields of the Raj, where arguably most of these cartridges were expended at game.

So although I may occasionally share your frustration at incorrect cartridge nomenclature, I am at a loss to understand this inexplicable dogma surrounding reference to the .275 Rigby.

According to COTW there was also a .275 Rigby No.2 Magnum cartridge loaded with 140gr bullets at 2675fps but this was a flanged cartridge for Rigby double rifles.

I think where the 'argument' re .275 Rigby and 7mm Mauser/7x57 has reared it's head early on has arisen from statements from some quarters that the .275 Rigby case and 7mm Mauser case were slightly different in dimensions. This is obviously a fallacy.

Understandably those with Rigby rifles, old or newly manufactured marked .275 may wish to have their cartridges headstamped .275 Rigby for crossing borders where such detail may matter to border control however to have a run of the mill Mauser customised and marked .275 Rigby is probably more a vanity project.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com