mckinney
(.400 member)
27/03/22 01:11 AM
Re: Mauser Type S

Thanks for the assist with the photos. That made all the difference.

Good question on the full length stocks. I've always though it was about the aesthetics but maybe it also aids in pointing, sight picture, etc, especially for a carbine? It must be hard to find a suitable stock blank to build such a rifle, particularly if you want figure in the butt.

The 7mm rifle looks like it has been repaired at the wrist on the right side. But after looking it over carefully with a friend, we could find no evidence of a repair and decided it must be a knot in the wood figure. He had a word for it which I've forgotten. There is a shallow vertical hairline crack
that runs through the checkering at the wrist - have ordered some extra thin glue to repair it. I've cleaned the checkering. Other than that and finding some proper Mauser screws to reattach the worn original butt plate, I think I'll leave it as it is. Not as it left the factory, but feels pretty good and has some character. Not much chance of learning who owned it, but you never know.

The bore is 'shiny' but I'll have to shoot it to see what it will do. I'd be happy with 2.5" at 100 yds.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com